Wednesday, October 21, 2009

THE YOUNG BLACK REMBRANDT











Meet aspiring young artist Mohammed Abbagana (self portrait, at the very top)who has a fascinating collection of sketches. We have been absolutely blown away by his artwork. He is a student from Nigeria.

4YBM.com: Tell us about you?

Mohammed: My name is Mohammed Abbagana and I m Nigerian born in Lagos. I m currently doing my masters in advertising and graphic design. I love art but my passion lays in the future evolution of Nigeria. I m in my early twenties and there is still a lot of improvements and techniques that I would like to develop. My art is not just 2D but also 3D.

4YBM.com: We really like your Art Work, can you tell us about it?

Mohammed: My favorite era of art is the renaissance; I like the realism and the fact that you can capture things that are in front of you. I use different media such ink, stencils, watercolors but I especially love using pencils. I like using pencils because you can take a line for a walk and end up creating a masterpiece.

I like the human form and that makes up a huge part of my work. I also enjoy graffiti and stenciling because its art in its rawest form.

4YBM.com: What is your process from choosing what to draw all the way to the finished product?

Mohammed: I don t have a specific process, I mostly already know what I like and just develop my ideas from there. Once I get an idea in my head I just get on with it till I finish because if I don t I get bored and might loose my concentration.

4YBM.com: What are the challenges faced 4ybm in the UK art industry? What advice do you have for a young black man interested in the art industry?

Mohammed: It depends on the area because there are different hierarchies in different in the art industry e.g. 2D, which includes photography, graphic design, illustration and then 3D, which includes computer animation, typography.

The best advice is to get a lot of experience and make sure your work is always neat and well done because most of the people that you pitch your work to don t really know much about Art itself but are mostly involved in the business side of the industry.

4YBM.com: Who are your top influential Black people in the world of art?

Mohammed: I admire the work of Mike Thompson who does amazing illustrations. He works for big brands in America. I like his style because it is similar to what I am interested in. He uses his raw skills combined with digital enhancements to create amazing finished pieces of art.

Another person that I like is Rom Isichei. He is a Nigerian painter that uses abstracts to put across his point of view.

4YBM.com: Do you have any new projects in the pipeline?

Mohammed: I just finished a designing for the cover of Diplomat magazine and it got published last month. And I also have an exhibition coming up on the 30th for black history month.

4YBM.com: Where can we find more information about your artwork?

Mohammed: For now I have a group on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71284723981&ref=ts

via 4ybm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin