Thursday, August 20, 2009

MISS INFO SITS DOWN WITH R.KELLY


MISS INFO RECENTLY SAT DOWN WITH RNB LEGEND R.KELLY TO PREVIEW HIS NEXT ALBUM ''UNTITLED'' AS WELL AS TOUCH ON SOME OTHER ISSUES.

HERE ARE SOME EXCERPTS OF THE INTERVIEW:

In speaking about his own album, Untitled, R.Kelly said “I did my homework on this album…for three months straight, I threw a party at my house every weekend. I can’t go to the clubs anymore because as soon as I walk in, I’m on youtube. But I love to party…so I brought the party home…like 200 girls come over, and there’s some guys too, like 4 or 5 (Lol!) but no pictures, so we can all be ourselves. Then I’d play the music and see how they would react…if they didn’t feel it, I’d go back downstairs and rework it…

The biggest highlight of the night was when R.Kelly invited a group of us down to his home studio, where he said he’s created some of his greatest hits. He led us through the winding halls of the house, lined with photos of his 3 children, and incredible memorabilia….from signed jerseys from Michael Jordan, signed boxing trunks from Muhammad Ali. We walked thru Kelly’s insane indoor pool area, which was painted like a Rainforest Cafe. Past a huge outdoor tent area (where some women were watching TV), past the Maybach on the lawn, into the small studio wing, thru the kitchen area (and more women watching TV), passing dozens and dozens of platinum plaques (Aaliyah’s was there, Changing Faces, and those Jay-Z and Rkelly ones were there too…) and finally piling into a small one room studio, no booth, just a soundboard, with the keyboard and mic in the corner…right in front of a full length mirror. I’m not gonna lie, the mirror is all ego.” Kelly said, “I gotta look in the mirror and see Kells, not Rob the Momma’s boy…if I come down here and I don’t look right, I’ll go up and change. I gotta see myself swagged out when I’m making music…Takes confidence.He explained that he does not write down his songs, mainly “because, honestly, I don’t really spell so good.” Instead, he freestyles the songs as he goes, along with the piano accompaniment (just as Jay-Z does with his rhymes, ironically). I asked R how he communicates the songs for artists like Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson, if there’s nothing written…and he said everyone from Michael to Ron Isley to Charlie Wilson and Whitney come down to the studio and he just jokes around with them, and then gives them bit by bit of the song, coaching them on how to sing each phrase, until the whole track is done. He admits it takes a leap of faith but that at the end, they’re fully converted. While telling us fascinating stories of working with MJ (he visited with his surgical mask on, and would only shake R.Kelly’s hand, but then loosened up and ate Chinese delivery with Kelly) and others, Kelly would occasionally break into song, at one point singing a customized version of Donnie Hathaway’s “Song for You.” He sang a few lines of “I Will Always Love You,” to show Whitney how he wanted her to deliver his lines and said that he told her to get clean and do whatever she had to, to make her big comeback. And he revealed that before Michael Jackson’s death, he had completed 5 songs for him, and that he still wanted to somehow get them out.

TO READ THE REST OF THE INTERVIEW COPY AND PASTE THIS LINK http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/exclusive-dinner-at-r-kellys-house-the-r-plays-his-the-untitled-album-talks-about-michael-jackson-stevie-wonder-trey-songz-and-more/

via missinfo.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin