Thursday, June 25, 2009

Check out this article via aproko.net featuring Nigerian Hip-Hop star Timaya entitled ''Following Women is my only sin.''


Aproko.net reveals everything there is to know about Hip-Hop artiste of the year Timaya; behind the music and the Timaya people don’t know. Inetimi Odon aka. Timaya, won for the second time the Hip-Hop artiste of the year award. Feeling good and extremely confident after winning, he said, “The Hip-Hop award doesn’t freak me like that; I am looking forward to when I will win the Grammy.”
Inetimi grew up in Agip Estate in Port Harcourt, Nigeria as the youngest child of 15. He had what he called ‘the music thing’ in him from a young age and so joined the choir. From there he moved to the Living Gospel Mission and anticipated to break into the biggest market in Lagos.
He was met with difficulties to get into the music industry due to a lack of respect as he was from the Niger Delta. “Right now whatever I say about the region cannot help. The only thing that can help is when people do the right thing. The situation in the region is like me as an artiste collecting so much money from the federal government, I have a group working with me like my Dem Mama crew, yet they don’t see the money, my manager doesn’t see the money, they won’t be happy and can react in different ways, like fighting.”
“That is what is going on, they know the right thing and as such they should do it. I can only speak through my music about these issues. That is why I am called the Eberepapa 1 of Bayelsa and it means the town crier of the people.”
Other barriers to entry were trying to get his song aired on the radio and played by DJ’s as his only promotional tool at the time was by word of mouth due to a lack of funds. Of course now Timaya has no issues in this area, as a successful artist radio stations and DJ’s are approaching him.
Timaya’s unique sound is conscience music and is inspired by his strong belief and thanks to God. “I am a preacher. I know one day I will end up in church where it all started. I am a child of God, the only thing I do is just that I follow women, I don’t tell lies, I don’t steal, following women is my only sin.”
As a paramount individual in the industry, scandals are constantly conjured up so Timaya tends to give the press something to write about. At the Hip-Hop Awards he held his award in front of his crotch and said that he dedicated it to Empress Njamah to give journalists something real to write about instead of complete lies. He likes to cause a stir as he said, “I never like a situation where people just keep saying good things about me so I do things so people can write and talk about it. Writing or saying wrong things about me once in a while is in order.”
The real Inetimi………….a nice guy that likes to try new things. He is extremely focussed and positive minded and generally a friendly person. Timaya the artiste is misconstrued as an arrogant man through false allegations. As the saying goes ‘don’t always beleive what you read’.



via aproko.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin